13 Jan 2012

What do you want to be when you grow up?

The future is something that seems to be on people's minds a lot. Lately, everyone seems to have all these plans, forming their futures. I keep hearing about my friends' five-year-plans, and few of them seem to live in the present. Some want to move in with their boy-/girlfriend, some want to travel the world and some have their whole career planned. Somehow it makes me kind of stressed. Should I plan more? Am I boring when I don't want to travel the world?

In a way, this whole thing about planning our future is something we've been taught since we were little. I remember when I was a child and all the adults kept asking me what I wanted to be when I grew up. It was even a common topic among me and my friends when we were playing. I have a memory from when I was younger. I couldn't have been very old when my friend and I were sitting on her bedroom floor, playing with her barbie dolls, and she asked me:

"What do you want to be when you grow up? I want to be a nurse, like my mum."

Without hesitation, I answered "I want to be an angel."

A few years after this, I started thinking more deeply about it and wondered which job would be the most fun. So, every time me and my family went somewhere, like for example the grocery store, restaurants and clothing stores, I gathered some courage and asked the person working in the till:

"Is it fun working here?"

The answer was always "yes.". I guess you really can't say no when an innocent little girl comes up to you and ask you that. Imagine what my reaction would've been if the answer was "No, I hate working here.".

A friend and I were talking about this topic the other day. Like me, she doesn't have everything planned, but is that really that bad?  My only plan is to finish school and after that I kind of want to see what happens. In that way, there is no disappointments when I don't get do to everything I wanted in the next five years (or whatever plan I would've had). Maybe I don't feel like working with fashion after I've finished school, and decide to do something else. It shouldn't matter as long as I like what I'm doing, right?

Maybe the younger me was right. Maybe I should focus more on being an angel. Perhaps not in the sense that I was thinking at that point, but more in being the best person I can be. Not to worry so much about what the future will bring, but to live my life to the fullest, to spend time with my friends and show more appreciation to the people that matters the most to me.

Yeah, I want to be an angel.

1 comment:

  1. Don't feel stressed about the future. You don't have to have lots of plans to be good, funny, interesting or whatever.. Just do what feels good for you. :-) I know I have a lot of plans, but you know, I'm changing my mind more or less every day. Life is full of options and it's ok to change your mind a hundred, or thousand, times if yuo want to.. or to know exactly what you want from the beginning! Keep up the good work my dear! Miss you..!!!

    ReplyDelete